Monday, December 22, 2008

Writing Process

This weekend I worked on streamlining my process of
concept-to-outlining-to-storyboard-to-script.

I'm good at generating initial concepts and making a plausible story.


But in writing the script, I'm short on words.

A writer without words is like an artist without art.


And sometimes I am both.


So.... here is my new revised process to streamline the script to screen process:

  1. Idea

  2. Outline, Plot and Scenes

  3. Art, Characters and Background

  4. Digital Storyboard and Animatic

  5. More Ideas

  6. More Scenes

  7. More Art

  8. More Animatic

  9. Then write the script.

This is similar to writers who do a lot of research before writing. They get everything collected first so all they have to do is write.

It practically writes itself. (Or so they claim.)

On "Where Nightmares Feed", I came up with the concept. Then put some art in Sony Vegas to see what 2 minutes looked like and felt like. Then I added more art and animation and sound FX and dialog. And edited as I went along, taking out still art and adding in animation.

Later I added some more scenes and details to make in about 3 minutes long. Then I typed up the script of the finished version.

This is what I want to do with a feature-length script. I'm a visual guy. I need to see the scenes and the action so I can understand what I want to next.

Words-Art-Words-Art-Words

Like other people looking to bottle lightning, I'd like to be able to put together several 1st drafts a year.

I need to get this show on the road.

...

No comments: